Little Allerton – Day 15 – hooked rugs, creative life, folk art, fiber art, hooking in Vermont, Vermont art, wool
Today, I decided to try another experiment!!! 😉
I have probably said before that I am not too fond of “matching” and of symmetry in my rugs. Now, of course, that is a bit problematic when I am doing a rug that has a center with a border around it and everything is symmetrical..!!!!
It would be a bit strange to change a lot of the rug…especially if it is a commercial pattern that others would like to buy and hook for themselves! (I had to do a lot of redesigning on the “Helen’s Tapestry” rug from Harry Fraser Co. as there was a mixup in the linen backing that I ordered but that was necessary for me to be able to do the pattern!
So, since I can’t do that kind of changing, I try to think of some other experiments I can try to see what happens! So since there are several flowers in the border of this rug, I have a decision to make!
I could hook all of the flowers in one colour…the lavender or the rose.
I could hook the flowers in alternate colours – rose, lavender, rose, lavender, etc.
I could hook the flowers in a different colour(s) from the flowers in the center…etc.
Because I have never seen this pattern hooked, I didn’t have a chance to say to myself before starting…”I really don’t like all the flowers done in one colour.” or “I like what she/he’s done with the flowers all being different colours.” I am without any guides here.
So I decided that I wanted to add another colour into my floral “mix”!! But what colour? I looked through more of my older wool stash and came up with a quarter yard piece of Dusty Lilac herringbone from Winterberry. Then, I looked through my “bits and pieces” and found some wool pieces I thought would “shade” along with the dusty lilac. (I am doing “mock shading” on these flowers and leaves) I thought the lilac would add a subtle change in the border…just gentle, not a huge change!!! 😉 So that’s what I did.
Here is a closeup of my flowers in the border…the lavender I have been using and the new dusty lilac. I am using a yellow plaid for the flower centers, with a little pink from leftover woolworms hooked in. The plaid strip lying across the dusty lilac picture above is what I am using for the leaf veins…and I hooked some of it into the lilac flower. (top)
For the leaves, I am hooking the new swatches in the border and keeping the old swatches for the center! That way, any differences in dye lots are just fine and add a look that is not all “matched”! I like that…although you might have another opinion!!! LOL
I hope you have a lovely day…it is beautiful here in Vermont today! Happy Hooking! Sunnie 😉