Quick post today…I did have a couple of hours to hook and finally finished the left side center part of the border!!! Hooray! 🙂
Now I just have the lower left “fan” corner to do and I’ll be finished…! I hope to have time tomorrow to hook…so it will be either 37 or 38 days, depending upon “life”!!!! …lol…
One of my friends asked me how I did this rug…what were the steps I took.
I don’t know if this will be helpful but I’ll list the steps!
1. sketch on computer paper the design idea…decide on the size. Since this is a ‘memory piece”, the animals need to be ones that were either on or had visited our Vermont property. Title will be the name of my business in Vermont …”Old Crow Farm”- my own “Domestic Zoo”!
2. refine the drawings a bit on the right side and decide if it will be the same on both sides (decided against that)
3. Enlarge the patterns on my computer using the “paint” program and tape the pages together-transfer the “simple” motifs with my light table to the linen burlap. ZigZag two rows of stitching around the edge of the rug design.
4. Decide on the colour of the background (3 burgundy plaids) and the border design (scrappy) Have a vague idea of colours to use on some of the motifs. Do the background as I go. Check for “holidays” from time to time!
5. Start with the center of the rug with Magdalena’s lollipop tree and work mostly on the right side…I will adapt the left side animals and other motifs when I have the right side done. For now the left side animals are just rather “generic”. Adapt the simple drawings to give a bit more detail on some of them.
6. Try out the right side border…I like it scrappy, so will continue on with that.
7. Hook and refine all animals and change them if they don’t look right. Check motifs to see if they are either standing out from the background or sinking into it…however I want them to look!
8. Finish the top center of the rug motifs and background, hook the top and bottom scrappy border as I go along towards the left.
9. Decide on colours and animals for the left side of the rug to balance the right side…hook them and then change and refine if needed.
10. Finish the scrappy border on the left side looking at the right side to get a colour balance. Do each corner “fan” differently. Steam the rug on the front and back and prepare for the edge finishing!
So here is Progress on Day 36…not very exciting for you but exciting for me to be close to the finish line!!!!
Happy Hooking! Sunnie 🙂